Saturday, November 17, 2018

Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter . . .

I have passed an important point. After having seen the sad outcome of the US Bishop's meeting in Baltimore, and watching (on video -- I was not present) Cupich, Wuerl, and Mahoney walking around and talking as though they are innocent and orthodox, I have lost confidence. No, I have not lost hope -- but then my hope is not based in anyone other than Almighty God. I have lost confidence, which I was trying to hold onto and give the benefit of the doubt that maybe the Bishops (including Pope Francis) would be moved by a pastoral concern to do something good.

Therefore, the point that I have passed, is this: having confidence that there are enough good Bishops to make a difference. There were times in history past that God had to remove disobedient clergy from the Church and that may very well be what needs to occur today (I have heard that St. Charles Borromeo once said that most of the Bishops in his day were going to Hell!). If God is going to bring a temporal judgment on those "shepherds who destroy" (cf. Jer 23:1), it is obviously not in my hands. I will continue to pray for them, and for the future of the Church. No, I cannot just "move on" and forget it all, but I cannot continue to dwell on this.

If a parishioner of mine comes to me with an "abuse" issue, then I will (of course) minister to him. I cannot allow the problems in the USCCB (which appear to be very deep seated) to keep me from ministry; I have people to care for. The cares and concerns of the average parishioner (based on those I have spoken with each week) are not based in the problems of the Bishops. We all want them to get these things fixed, but we have lives to live. We have Masses to attend, children to raise, work to be done, bills to be paid, and prayers to be said. We should not forget the problems (and we should step up immediately when we encounter one in our own parishes!), but we have done our duty in calling those involved to faithfulness.

If those who want to maintain the problems (as though they were a good thing) have taken hold of the reins and outnumber those who still love the Lord, then we must sit back and wait for God to bring His judgment. Yes, there are good Bishops out there who are seeking genuine faithfulness, but they are a minority today and their hands appear to be tied. I know it may sound somewhat "defeatist", but if we become obsessed with all of this, then it will drag us down. We will end up unable to serve God in the manner we are called to do.

It is hard to have any hope at times like this. I know that Cardinal DiNardo said he ended with a hope that they may be able to do a better job if they take more time to work through things. I certainly want them to, but I do not have much confidence that they will be able to, especially when you realize how many prelates are against them. Further delays may very likely cause even more loss of hope in many. I pray that they will not lose their hope in Christ, and will realize it is time to "hunker down" and fight the good fight of the faith where each of us is able to do so.

Thinking as a pastor, if I were to delay dealing with a problem of this magnitude and just keep putting people off, I would be in grave sin. When I encounter a serious issue, I cancel appointments and go to "accompany" (Pope Francis' word!) those who are hurting. If Pope Francis had done this last summer when so many were hurting, things might not be where they are today. If a parishioner comes to me and begs for help with a crisis, for me to tell him "wait until next February" is a prime example of the behavior of a hireling (I believe the technical term is "clericalism"), and not the Good Shepherd (cf. John 10:12-15).

Let us fight diligently to maintain our faith in the Good Shepherd, and pray for those whom He has put over us. Let us make sure that we are getting on with the lives that God has called us to live. Even if your confidence is lost, like mine has been, you can still maintain a strong devotion to the faith, and continue to be a holy Catholic. Do not forget those who are hurting and always be ready to reach out to them with whatever grace God has given to you. Together we can endure and prepare for the future where our blessed Lord will grant us a renewal and restoration of His One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.