Friday, September 7, 2018

How Can You Tell if You're on the Wrong Road?

    Why do you talk about protestantism so much?

    Why do you critique protestant theology so much?

    Aren't we all just "Christians" regardless of what Church we go to?

    Isn't protestantism really just the same?

    Why do you distinguish "Anglicanism" and "Anglican patrimony"?

These are all questions that I have heard since I became a Catholic priest. I will freely admit that I do refer to protestant ideas and teachings every once in a while. The reason, however, might not be what you think. I am not actually just trying to refute protestant theology (the very theology I taught for years -- God forgive me!). No, it is actually because many Catholics are ignorant of their own Catholic faith and often cannot tell the difference between Catholic doctrine and protestant doctrine (which can be of eternal consequence!).

Yes, I realize that this claim is quite harsh, but it needs to be heard. Consider this: how would you feel to find out suddenly that genuflecting was actually a protestant practice and was forbidden for Catholics? [It is not actually so, but it would feel just that extreme.] Should you, then, consider it to be harsh when someone points out a serious problem in your soul? Take these few examples: how would you respond if I said to you one of the following statements: "don't drive 90 mph in a 30 zone", or "that milk is sour, don't drink it", or "don't touch that, it's a copperhead snake", or even "that is not your medicine, it is poison"?

Would you be offended by my actions and refuse to speak to me? Would you say that I am attacking you? Probably not. Yet, when a priest tells a parishioner that something he is doing is "not the Catholic way" or that a belief he has is "contrary to Catholic teaching" he is often looked upon as being rude and un-pastoral. Now it is certainly the case that many priests may very well be inconsiderate in how they speak to their parishioners. Yet, I know of many good priests who are gentle and kind in how they approach their people, but are still treated as "mean" when they try to help someone with "creeping protestantism".

I have heard a number of Catholics refer to protestant beliefs and then claim that they are Catholic teachings. Let me relate one particular story. After a homily I was pulled aside by a parishioner; he was in his 70's. He told me to "please be careful" how I spoke about trusting the Church's dogmas. He then proceeded to let me know that every Catholic was supposed to interpret the Scriptures for himself and allow the Holy Spirit to lead his heart into what was right. Well, how do I say this? No. As in "N" and then "O" (really far to the right on the "Nope Meter"). That is protestant teaching, not Catholic.

Many people do not even know for certain what the source of their personal beliefs are sometimes. I have spoken to people who hold to a vast number of contradictory beliefs. It is most likely that they have let down the walls of protection around their minds [it would be wonderful if the Church would return to forbidding Catholics from reading any doctrinal material by non-Catholics] and have no resistance to foolish thinking. Many today will just accept what sounds good to them at the time, and never spend any effort at determining if their ideas are in accord with the Catholic faith (or even with one another).

How do we discern whether we are holding to Catholic truth (i.e. the exact revealed truth of God Almighty) if we do not spend some time examining our own beliefs? How can we consider it holy if we get angry when a concerned priest tells us "that's not Catholic"? When was the last time you read something that teaches (accurately) the Catholic position on doctrine? How about the Catechism of Trent? How about  just the little Catechism of St. Pius X? The fourth Baltimore Catechism would be useful as well. Like checking a map while taking a long trip, it is good for us to "get our bearings" and make sure we are still on the right road. Have you checked lately?