Friday, August 17, 2018

The Matrix Has You!

Why is it that some days I do not write posts for this blog? A couple of you have mentioned to me that you wish I would write every day. I appreciate the sentiment. I like writing, and I pray that the Lord will use what I write to help people to grow in their faith. So then, I should answer the question. Why do I sometimes not write? It is too simplistic to say "I was busy"; I want to be more specific. It is because I am busy with the real world. I want to emphasize two words in that last sentence. Not "busy with", but "real world".

We live in an age where it is difficult for many to tell the difference between reality and fantasy -- I am not exaggerating. There are a number of people who really believe that social media is an important part of their lives. Yes; quite sad. On the grand scheme of things, social media is about as important as a candy bar. It is probably OK for most people to have a small amount; large doses are dangerous; it really gives no nutrition; and when someone gets too much of it, their personal health suffers for it. It would probably be OK to spend only a few minutes a day using it, but much more than that means that the person has likely lost touch with the real world.

One aspect of the (false) world of social media that might have a bit more value (in certain circumstances) is commonly called the blogosphere. That is the diverse world of "blogs" where people write what they think (whether anyone really wants to hear about it or not). Yes, I am fully aware that I contribute to this "world" in what I write. I hope and pray that what I write is of some value in the spiritual direction of those who read it. The problem, of course, is that many people spend so much time "surfing" the "blogosphere" that they begin to think it is the real world. It is even worse when those who actually write in this "world" begin thinking that it is real. They have been deceived into imagining that the things that they read and write are a reality in themselves and the result is that their whole understanding of the world gets skewed.

Although writing and reading good material is important; life is much more than reading a good comment, or a helpful post. Life--real life--is where the real world occurs (and it is not on a computer screen). The "blogosphere" is not the real world, it is only a bunch of images displayed in digital format (even if they are good images). The real world is: marriage, disciplining children, paying bills, turning your eyes away from immodesty, and mourning the death of a loved one. The real world is the place that is spoken about in the Scriptures numerous times, and if you are cut off from it by the time that you spend in the "blogosphere" then I am going to guess that your real relationships are struggling (marriage, children, work, school, etc.) and you probably do not know why (assuming you do have some interaction with other humans).

When you get stuck in reading blog posts, and watching videos by "media outlets" and checking your facebook status, your entire mode of thinking has been corrupted -- you have fallen into a new form of gnosticism and are trying to avoid the real world. People who are suffering in this state of affairs remind me of that sci-fi movie from a few years ago: they are "stuck in the matrix" and probably do not know it. If you realize that you have been seduced into this false reality, then it is time to get out now. You must not justify it by saying "my readers need me" or "I have to comment about this"; that is the very thing the devil wants you to do so that he can keep you hooked.

So then, I do appreciate all my readers, but I do not want you spending your life staring at the computer or phone screen (even if you are reading my stuff). The only reason I write is to encourage greater faithfulness in your life -- not to create a separate reality that becomes your life. Really, if that is what you are doing, then stop now. So if what you read here, or in any other good blog, actually helps you in your faith, good. Take advantage of it and then live your life faithfully. Go out and fulfill the calling that God has given you, and serve Him in all faithfulness. If you do not, you will descend deeper and deeper into an "abyss" of confusion.