Wednesday, November 28, 2018

A Prayer For These Days

We humbly beseech Thee, O Lord: that of Thy unbounded mercy Thou wouldest grant unto the Holy Roman Church a Pontiff, who by his tender care towards us may ever find favour in Thy sight, and, studying to preserve Thy people in safety, may ever be honoured by us to the glory of Thy Name; through Jesus Christ Thy Son our Lord, Who liveth and reigneth with Thee, in the unity of the Holy Ghost, ever one God, world without end. Amen.
Although this prayer was intended for use in the Mass when a new Pope is being elected (Divine Worship Missal, For The Election of the Pope), I have found another usage for it. Notice the words "grant . . . a Pontiff". The intent of the phrase "grant . . . " is to say "grant us a new Pope". Yet, it is grammatically possible for it to mean "grant unto our current Pope that he would . . . " I have been praying this prayer (twice a day) with a two-fold direction. First, I am asking the Lord to grant Pope Francis to see his sins, and to repent of them; publicly, fully, and sincerely. Second, I am asking that if that is not going to happen, I am praying that the Lord would grant us a new Pope; soon and very soon. God is God, and I leave it in His hands as to how He answers this prayer.

No, I am not praying for Pope Francis' death (as I have heard many are doing). Yet, as I have mentioned before, Pope Francis is not, at present, a good Pope; he has clearly shown himself to be working against the Catholic faith in many areas. As Dr. Taylor Marshall said recently, it is time to "take the red pill" about Francis. The current Pope is not helping the Catholic Church to withstand the world, the flesh, or the devil. He is actually doing many things that are encouraging sinful behavior. We need a good Pope. We need either for Pope Francis to repent and be a good shepherd, or we need a different Pope (Cardinal Sarah would be a great choice!).

I would encourage all of my readers to begin praying this prayer on a regular basis. I would encourage you to make sure beforehand, though, that your heart be right about it. Do not pray it with anger or in a vindictive mood. Pray it with humility and holiness. Pray it with trust in our great Lord, that He will show us mercy in these times of great trial.