Thursday, August 1, 2019

Pray for Me

I speak with my brother priests as often as I can, and we all can tell you the same thing: we are under attack. Yes, "we the Church" are under attack; that is obvious. What I am referring to, however, is "we as priests". It is not just an attack on the sexual morals of priests (though, yes, that is more sensational so it hits the news quicker). I am talking about a spiritual attack that tears priests down in more ways than are obvious.

Priests are under attack in their theology--the devil wants them to compromise, even in small ways. Priests are under attack in their liturgics--the devil wants them to compromise, even in small ways. Priests are under attack in their own personal spirituality--the devil wants them to compromise, even in small ways. The trend should be obvious.

I myself have felt various "demonic" or "devilish" attacks at times. I can recall once during Mass stumbling over words at a point that was completely unexpected. It got me flustered, and then I was second guessing myself all the way through the rest of the Mass (pausing to make sure I said the prayer right; eyes jumping back and forth on the page). Suddenly I had the words of Jesus go through my mind, "get thee behind me Satan"; I recited them quickly in my heart, and the "disturbance" went away. No, I do not know if it was actually something caused by demonic influence, but I know that if that happened at every Mass I celebrated, it would truly wear down my soul.

I know many priests who tell me stories about crazy things happening to them and their parishes that have no other explanation other than a demonic attack. I will not get into all the details, but when a group of priests all say "that's not coincidence", it can give you chills. It should not surprise us, of course. The devil tries to keep men from the priesthood all the time, but these days it seems like he is putting in an extra effort. If he is unsuccessful in this (and with a recent increase in vocations, it appears that the tide is turning), then he will turn his sights to doing all he can to undermine the priests who are already serving.

There are many ways that the laity can help their priests (sending him a text telling him what a lousy job he did in Mass last Sunday is not one of them). Most especially, for my brother priests who are celibate, good fellowship is needed. Yes, priests have each other, but they cannot always get together conveniently. Invite him over to your house for dinner; send him a card saying you are praying for him; or even just try to speak to him about normal life issues after Mass some day. Things like these can make a great difference in his sense of connection to the parish.

The most significant thing, however, to help your priest should go without saying. All priests need to be prayed for. I have often asked for the prayers of my parishioners (especially when I do not see eye to eye with one of them). When we pray, humbly and whole-heartedly for someone, it leads us to loving that person. It is true for a priest with his people, and it is true for the people with their priest. When we genuinely experience love for another person, it makes us want to help that person and also to work to be at peace with him. Any amount prayer is helpful for a priest, but if you are not sure what to pray about, then pray for things that are not selfishly motivated. In other words pray generally for wisdom, faithfulness, and strong leadership (and not for him to "do it your way").

An apostolate that I came across recently that goes along this very direction is called the "Seven Sisters Apostolate". It has seven women who dedicate one hour a week to pray for their priest. Imagine what it would be like for that priest who knows that someone is praying for him every day. I have asked some of the ladies at my parish of St. George to begin this, and even though it is just in the beginning stages, I am already encouraged by it (I long for their prayers). This is what priests truly need: people who care enough to do something to help. To turn your back on someone who is struggling, only makes that person struggle more.

Whether you become part of this apostolate or not, I urge you to pray for your priest. Pray that he would be protected against all the temptations and trials that the devil wants to throw at him. Maybe you already know some of his weaknesses; then pray about them. Do not abandon him to his own means. As the priest cares for his people in the way God has called him to do so, so also should the people care for their priest in their unique way. Although it may sound a bit selfish for me to encourage this, only a self-righteous priest would not ask for prayers! The more that people help their priests with the power of holy prayer, the less likely those priests are to fall into any of the various scandals you have seen on the news.

St. Paul asked many times for the prayers of his people, knowing that prayer is that tool of the Lord that could help him to hold fast. The author of the book of Hebrews (whether it was St. Paul or not) said it this way:
Obey your leaders and submit to them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who will have to give account. Let them do this joyfully, and not sadly, for that would be of no advantage to you. Pray for us, for we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honorably in all things (Hebrews 13:17-18).
Pray for your priests.