Tuesday, June 11, 2019

A Guide Through This Vale of Tears

I am approaching the seventh anniversary of my ordination as a Catholic priest (July 8th), and it is extra special for me this year. First of all the number seven is biblically significant -- it is usually used as symbolic of perfection or maturity (I am not perfect, but I hope I am maturing!). Second of all, I can say that this is the longest period of time that I have spent since I first became serious about my faith (when I was 17 years old) that I did not have the feeling that I was headed somewhere and had not yet arrived.

For the last 7 years I have felt completely content as a Catholic. During the previous 26 years I was constantly in motion towards becoming a Catholic (though I did not realize that was the case until about 12 years ago). As I look back over the last 7 years of joy, I think about all those who helped me along in the process to guide me to where I am right now. These people would not all have the same joy as I do if they found out that they helped me to become Catholic! I will not give names, but D.T., D.W., B.W., K.S., S.W., S.C., W.B., M.C., R.B., and J.B. all played a significant role in my conversion (two of those people would be happy about it, the rest might commit suicide if they found out!).

In our lives there are always various individuals who influence and "spiritually nurse" us in our faith. As I stated above, many of them never even realize what they are doing. That is so because of the wonderful providence of our Almighty Lord. It is just as significant when we find those who are intentionally working to guide people forward in their faith; and I am not referring primarily to those devout clergymen (either alive or dead) who minister to us. Sometimes you will just meet someone who touches your heart in a significant way and points your soul in the right direction.

This led me, today, to thinking about those who are called to guide and influence others on their path; and, once again, I am not referring to clergy. I am referring, instead, to those that are appointed as godparents. In 7 years as a priest in the Catholic Church I have met a quite a large number of godparents. In my experience (and that is all that I speak from), I would estimate that about 5% of those godparents took their role seriously. The rest are doubtful whether anything "godparentish" happens after the baptism or confirmation occurs.

Do you know someone who really follows through with the responsibility of godparents? Do your own godparents genuinely continue the role of raising children (or adults in the case of converts) in the faith? When was the last time your godparent actually gave spiritual advice to you? If it is regular for you, then you are quite blessed and should be thanking God regularly. If your godparents have shirked their role, or if they have passed from this world, then it may be a good idea to seek to find someone else to fill that role. We all need a "spiritual nudge" once in a while, and it is good for us to have a guide through this "vale of tears".

If you are a godparent for someone and have not fulfilled your duty, then it is time to renew your vows. Where are your godchildren right now? How are they doing in their spiritual life? If you cannot answer that question, then something is amiss. If they fell from the faith, what did you do or say? Here is one of the main reasons that I discourage choosing godparents who live a distance from their potential godchildren--you have to be close enough to have an influence in their lives. Have you ever said to them, "I am your godparent, so I need to speak to you about something"? If you never had to say anything like that, then maybe you are the godparent of a living Saint (what an honor!).

God-parentage has become, in many circles, nothing more than a sentimental notion. It is as though it were merely an honorary title, given to a figurehead who has no real responsibility. Is that what the Church intends by requiring godparents for everyone receiving baptism or confirmation in the Church? We all know that it is not. Pray for your godparent; pray for your godchildren; pray that the Lord will help us to renew our responsibilities and fulfill our calling to assist one another on the journey to Heaven. We all need each other's help and that is why were brought into the Church. May God have mercy on us all.