Saturday, December 14, 2019

"Indiscriminately presenting oneself to receive Holy Communion"

"Presenting oneself to receive Holy Communion should be a conscious decision, based on a reasoned judgment regarding one's worthiness to do so, according to the Church's objective criteria, asking such questions as: "Am I in full communion with the Catholic Church? Am I guilty of grave sin? Have I incurred a penalty (e.g., excommunication, interdict) that forbids me to receive Holy Communion? Have I prepared myself by fasting for at least an hour?" The practice of indiscriminately presenting oneself to receive Holy Communion, merely as a consequence of being present at Mass, is an abuse that must be corrected" (Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, 2004).

Notice that he said "an abuse" and that it "must be corrected". I have not seen much correction going on, and the stories in the news recently about politicians and judges who are in grave sin and still presenting themselves to receive communion show that they either have not been corrected, or they merely do not care (I am not sure which is worse). So then, some correction needs to occur (yes, I know I have spoken about this many times before on this blog) and one of the things that needs to be corrected is the common habit of spiritual presumption.

Presumption is an awful habit that seems to have inserted itself into the very fiber of many Catholics. The poor understanding of the boundaries of Holy Communion is likely the result of decades of bad catechesis, but the tendency to go light on one's personal spiritual health is the result of something far worse. Although I cannot be certain of it in every instance, I have met a number of people who have a presumptuous attitude toward their faith who also were not properly disciplined as a child.

I am not advocating beating children -- just to be clear (it is sad that I have to point that out, but that is the day and age we live in). I am, however, advocating proper discipline as outlined in the Scriptures in many places (read the book of Proverbs and you cannot miss it!). There is not a magical formula for discipline, but if the child is not deterred from the sinful behavior (even in his younger years) then he will always take the chance that he can get away with it. Once that type of thinking has rooted itself in the child's mind, then he will be presumptuous about all of his behavior.

The result of this is obvious. "I'm really not that bad, so why shouldn't I get communion every time I come to Mass?" "What does my own personal sin have to do with it?" "Isn't it an obligation to receive communion at every Mass?" "Who are you to tell me I can't take communion?" Few will say these types of comments in public unless provoked (usually by a faithful priest like those godly brothers of mind you have probably read about in the news), but quite a few parishioners in the pews actually do think exactly like this.

I pray that I never again will have to say to someone at the communion rail, "no, you may not receive". I did do it one time years ago to someone who informed me before Mass that she was a practicing sodomette and was not going to repent (I warned her not to present herself for communion, but she did not agree). If it ever does happen, I will not enjoy it, and I will certainly be concerned about the backlash that may occur, but that will not stop me from doing what is right in those instances (having written this, I pray that no one will come to one of my parishes and do this just to cause trouble--but it is certainly possible in this corrupt society).

Whatever others do, I encourage each of you my readers to be certain to do some self-examination every time before receiving communion. That is one of the most important prayers and meditations that you can do before Mass ("Lord, please let me know if there is any reason that I should not receive the Sacrament today"). There is no shame in abstaining from committing a grave sin (which is what it is to receive communion when not in a state of grace). There is much shame in ignoring sin, however, and forming a callous heart toward the sacred things of God. Prepare yourself; ready yourself; and then be able to give yourself fully, and in all holiness, to the Lord.