Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Why Are You Celebrating July 4th?

While in High School, I had a friend who liked to crash parties. He would just find out when one was going on and join in. One time he joined in a birthday party for an older gentleman; he said it was fun because they had alcohol and no one asked his age. I asked him once whether his conscience bothered him about this. His response was a surprise for me: "What do I care? I just like the fun, it doesn't matter what they are celebrating." Even back then I had a different philosophy about life. This same attitude that he had has only grown more common today and been applied in more areas of life. If something makes people happy, they do not care what the details are that go along with it.

Although this is true in many aspects of the modern world, there is one that really causes me concern; especially on this day. When people in America celebrate July 4th, I wonder what they are actually celebrating. Today is supposed to be a recognition of when our forefathers said no to a tyrannical king. The majority of Americans have never been under the tyranny of a king, so what are they celebrating? Except for maybe a few people who have immigrated to this country, we do not know what our forefathers experienced except from books. Are we really grilling burgers and shooting off fireworks because we are happy that England does not force us to pay their taxes?

I need to be perfectly clear that I have great appreciation for what our forefathers did for us; especially those who died for our sake. That is not at all what I am criticizing. I am concerned as to why we are celebrating. If I were to take the celebrations themselves as keys to interpretation, then it appears that we are celebrating the Chinese (who invented fireworks) more than anything else. When someone says "July 4th" what is the first thing that comes to mind? Fireworks abound on this day. Have you noticed, however, that the fireworks start about a week beforehand, and usually continue for a few days afterward? That is quite telling. It does not say much about the historical awareness of the day itself. It is kind of like opening Christmas gifts a week early, just because you want to (who cares about what day it is?).

So then, I will ask it again: what are we celebrating? The declaration of independence was 242 years ago. That is quite separated from our modern experience. And although we can learn about the events, they are not very similar to what we are going through today. How many Americans can give me a detailed explanation of the exact political situation in 1776 England? I will give the benefit of the doubt at this point, and acknowledge that many of those who are celebrating are celebrating America itself. They are celebrating their appreciation for our country. Yet, in doing this there seems to be little to be patriotic about. If today's current state of affairs in the USA is a result of the work of our founding fathers, then their efforts appear to have led to a great deal of sinful behavior.

Let me give the benefit of the doubt, though, and take patriotism as the issue for celebration. What is it about America that people are feeling patriotic towards? Are they celebrating the fact that a number of people are ready to start a civil war because they hate our president? Are they celebrating the fact that abortions are still continuing at an astronomical rate? Are they celebrating the fact that the Catholic Church is under attack? Are they celebrating the intense strife that is dividing our communities? Are they celebrating the fact that marriages are crumbling, the divorce rate has only diminished because fewer people are getting married, and parents are abusing and killing their children? Are they celebrating the fact that sodomy is flourishing? Are they celebrating the increasing corruption in the government?

I may sound a bit depressing right now, but let us be honest and admit this is America, warts and all. I know that some of you will think of some good things that you can name off about the USA (for which I am definitely thankful), but when we are honest, we will acknowledge that those are in spite of, not because of, American culture. If we are celebrating the successful war against England so long ago, we should also ask what it has led to. Jesus tells us that you "will know them by their fruits" and America's fruits today are pretty rotten. If this is the result of the "American system of government" then maybe we should reconsider whether that system is as "great" as we often hear. Unless of course we idolize America and refuse to look at ourselves with humility and wisdom.

I am also concerned that large numbers of Americans appear to be celebrating "freedom". Yet, I wonder if they know what godly freedom really is. I am not saying that freedom is a bad thing. I am concerned that when people are happy about "freedom" it is not the freedom that our founding fathers fought for. They were not fighting for a government to grant them the freedom to sin as much as one wants; it was a freedom from foolish politicians. Even Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson (who were by no means faithful Christians) would be appalled at what "freedom" means to a modern American (who screams "yeah!" with a beer in his hand, and his fist in the sky because he thinks he can do whatever he wants). Sadly, it appears that by celebrating our "independence" we are celebrating our right to say "don't tell me what to do" (is that really what Washington, Adams, and Madison fought for?).

I so desperately want to be able to celebrate my nation, but I cannot. Yes, I can celebrate and be thankful for what Christ has done, but when I look at my country she has largely turned her back on Him. I am thankful for my motherland, but I am not at all pleased at the path that she is on. If someone is celebrating "America" and loves what this land has become, then I believe that there may very well be something errant in his understanding of what is right and wrong. To rejoice on this July 4th and say "isn't America great!" is to deny reality. America is my home; I was born here, and will likely die here someday. I am an American, but I am ashamed at how my country is behaving. To celebrate our country, and turn a blind eye to our rapid descent into immorality is not wise.

I am sorry if you think that I am a "downer" today, but it would be wrong for me to encourage anyone to celebrate disobedience and strife. It would be wrong for me to say that "things are a-okay" and ignore the problems that exist. I can be thankful that we have not degenerated as far as we possibly can; there are many nations that are far worse off than we are, but most of them do not have the blessings that were granted to these United States throughout our short history. Our accountability for our current problems is so much greater because we have been given so much by the Lord. We have such great opportunity to be a nation of faithfulness and holiness, and yet we have chosen instead to pursue evil; we have "sold our birthright".

I want to be able to proclaim "God bless America", but it is not that simple. God already blessed America, more times than we can count, and far more than we deserve, but we have taken His blessings and used them for our own lustful ends. There is a passage in the book of Chronicles where God speaks to Solomon and lets him know the right way for a nation that has been blessed by God to respond to difficulties and trials. He says there:
"...if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land" (2 Chr 7:14).
Let me point out a few specifics in what our Lord commands here. First He says that His people must "humble themselves". Selfish pride is so common today in America that it is almost seen as a virtue. There is little in the way of humility, and few who encourage it. The next thing that the people need to do is "pray" and "seek God's face". This implies for us that we should be spending a significant amount of time and effort in the Mass, and fully engaging with it when we do. Need I mention that Mass attendance is down, and distractions are up? The last thing that the Lord gives as a requirement for a land to be healed is that the people must "turn from their wicked ways". This would imply genuine repentance that lasts. The way this would be seen is if priests have to schedule extra times each week to accommodate the long lines of people coming to confession. Anyone seen long lines outside the confessional each week?

God does promise to heal a land that has fallen into sin and is suffering. He does not, however, promise it regardless of what the people of the land do (especially the Catholics). He promises it in connection with a sincere repentance. He says that He will forgive and heal, if, and only if, the people do as He has commanded. This is why I cannot find much cause to celebrate America today; we are not doing what God said. I will celebrate where there is penitence and holiness. I will celebrate the wonderful works of God and pray for His mercy. As I say Mass today, I will celebrate the great works of Christ and His grace; I cannot, however, celebrate the sin of my nation.