Thursday, May 24, 2018

N (as in "N") . . . O (as in "O")

I am a workaholic; I cannot hide it. I also really like spicy foods, scary movies and hard rock music. Now, I would like to ask, how did I get that way? Was I forced into it? Was it determined beforehand by fate? Or (dare I ask it?), did God make me this way? That last question might seem a bit ridiculous, but there are those today who believe that God makes people a certain way, and that means either that they are not accountable for their behavior, or that the behavior is not sinful (there are even some in very high positions with the Catholic Church who appear to believe this in some areas).

Does God make people homicidal maniacs? Does God make people liars? Does God make people idolaters? Does God make people adulterers? Does God make people have any tendency toward a sinful behavior? NO. That is, N (as in "N") . . . O (as in "O"); of course not, only someone who did not understand Catholic truth would believe that. But somehow, today, people do believe that God makes people desire sodomy.

In order to hold a position like this, one must believe either that homosexual behavior is not sinful, or that it is only mildly so. If someone holds to the Catholic position regarding homosexuality (that it is always gravely immoral and completely disordered) then to claim that God "makes people" this way would mean that he believes that God makes people sin (or at least causes them to have weaknesses in that area). This would mean that God intentionally encourages sin in someone. This is entirely against the Catholic faith. Sin is a choice; it is our choice and no one else's. Yes, there may be some circumstances that lead us in that direction (as when those who are abused, end up abusing others), but every sin is our own choice and the result of the circumstances that we choose to give in to.

It does not help us to overcome sin if we blame our weaknesses on God. "He made me this way" is at best dangerous theology, and at worst it is blasphemous (no I am not exaggerating). To say that God forces anyone to sin is to enter into a confusing arena that ends in theological suicide. It also does not help those struggling with homosexual tendencies to be told this (any more than it helps a thief to be told "God made you that way") because it effectively prevents them from seeking holiness. God does not "make people that way" -- as a Protestant I was a Calvinist and I can smell that twisted theology a mile away.

This idea also cheapens the work of the Spirit. It treats the victory over sin that we can find in Christ as useless for many people. Yes, the sin of sodomy has spread far and wide, but we will not overcome it by being nice to it and pretending that it does not matter. I personally know some Catholics who struggle with homosexual temptations and they are each working to remain faithful to Christ in their lives (and I am encouraged regularly by their commitment to holiness). They have grown in their obedience to God more and more over time and are able to give glory to God for it. What would happen to their path of faith if I told them "God made you that way"? It is painful even to think about it.

Christ offers victory over every sin, and we should never settle for less than holiness. If it was a sin, it is a sin, and it always will be a sin. Sin is not subject to the definitions of modern society, and the Church does not make her determinations by listening to popular opinion (regardless of what some clerics would like). If anyone has a different position than that of the Catholic Church regarding the sinfulness of homosexual behavior, then he will have to answer to God for it (be he politician, layman, or clergyman).

Some have pointed out recently (e.g. see: Fr. Raymond J. de Souza) a comment that was apparently made by Pope Francis in a private conversation (again!) and are trying to use it as Church dogma (again!). The comment seems to say that God makes people "gay" [I do not like using that word] and so if God did it, then it is no big deal after all. It is not unheard of for a Pope to believe something that is contrary to Church teaching (even this extreme), but today we hear about everything the Pope says because technology allows us to spread it far and wide before anyone has had a chance to realize the consequences.

Another factor that we are dealing with in the Holy Father's comments is the manner in which so many people twist things to their own ends (for which, see my previous post: Marvel Not). I can think of many times when someone has taken my words (which I believed were spoken in complete clarity) and turned them to suit their own ends. This is happening more and more today in a number of different situations. Thus, when our current Holy Father is generally viewed as a "mover and shaker" who wants to "change" the Church into something different, then we have a recipe for disaster.

Mix together these four things: a Pope viewed as liberal, people prone to twist truth to their own ends, a lack of clarification of confusing statements, as well as a technological setting where off-the-cuff comments can fly around the world in seconds, and you have the circumstances in which error can spread like wildfire. I cannot lay the blame on any one individual (I do not know their minds) but vague and fuzzy teaching in crucial areas that society wants to distort will only continue to lead us to greater and greater confusion.

I would certainly hope that it is not the opinion of the Holy Father that God "makes people gay". I know that in many other places he has spoken clearly about the sinfulness of homosexuality, so I do not know how this apparent comment could fit with that. I will pray for him and I will pray for the Church. I will continue to speak the "whole counsel of God" to my people that are under my care and I will pray for Jesus' mercy to help us through these ugly times. I pray for you, to pray for me.